Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Review of Intertwined

Intertwined by Gena Showalter
(440 pages)
Published
Sept. 1st /09

There’s something about the new guy at Crossroads High . . .

Most sixteen-year-olds have friends. Aden Stone has four human souls living inside him:

One can time-travel.
One can raise the dead.
One can tell the future.
And one can possess another human.

With no other family and a life spent in and out of institutions, Aden and the souls have become friends. But now, they’re causing him all kinds of trouble.

Like, he’ll blink and suddenly he’s a younger Aden, reliving the past. One wrong move, and he’ll change the future. Or, he’ll walk past a total stranger and know how and when she’s going to die.

He’s so over it. All he wants is peace.

And then he meets a girl who quiets the voices. Well, for as long as he’s with her. Why? Mary Ann Gray is his total opposite. He’s a loner; she has friends. He doesn’t care what anyone thinks; she tries to make everyone happy. And while he attracts the paranormal, she repels it. For her sake, he should stay away. But it’s too late. . .

Somehow, they share an inexplicable bond of friendship. A bond about to be tested by a werewolf shape-shifter who wants Mary Ann for his own and a vampire princess Aden can’t resist. Two romances, both forbidden. . . doomed. Still, the four will enter a dark underworld of intrigue and danger. . . but not everyone will come out alive. . .

I'm not sure I can think of a single bad thing to say about Intertwined. It had it all. From romance to violence. The characters were wonderfully written, the writing was easy to understand and there were so many twists and turns that I had trouble guessing what was going to happen next. All of which I love. The cover is hot! I mean, look at it! The guy is hot, the colors are hot, and the writing is hot! Perfect combination! :)

Aden is an amazingly well written, lovable character. He's got the dangerous element going on, which is always fun. But he can also be sweet and caring. Especially around Victoria and Mary Ann. I loved that. After all he was through, from being thrown into one mental institution to the next, he was still capable of being human. Of loving someone, of having friends. He's a completely crush worthy character.

Riley is too. Riley is the werewolf of the gang. He's protective, scary, and loving. Towards Mary Ann, that is. And his friends. I liked the fact that he didn't start off as a Aden's friend. I liked it that the boys had to work to trust each other, and in the end became - dare I say it? - friends. He was a wonderful character that I'd like to learn more about.

The girls were pretty much completely opposite. Victoria was more outspoken, confident, and protective. Mary Ann more quiet, loving and sweet. I loved both characters. And was happy for both of the guys when they found love in the girls. Both (guys) seemed like they needed the girls and their love, as Aden was a loner and Riley was "ugly". Dispite the fact that Aden had Eve, Caleb, Julian and Elijah, and Riley had his brothers, both guys seemed lonely. To say the least I was happy for them.

The story itself was unique and fast-paced. There was never a dull moment. I found myself staying up late reading, telling myself "just one more chapter" over and over again, until mom came in my room at 12:30 and forced me to go to sleep. Nearing the end of Intertwined, I tried to make myself slow down, to make it last longer. Yeeeeah, that didn't happen. It was just too good!

The ending left me happy that the events happened as they did, but anxious for the next book, Unraveled. I'm not sure I can wait until September for this one. I might just have to get my paws on an ARC. I might go crazy if I don't... I NEED to know what happens next. Cause, of course, like all great writers, Gena Showalter ended Intertwined with death looming over all of the main characters' heads. Ugh.

Overall rating: 5/5 squares. A must read!

-Robyn (:

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the review! I've heard several things about this book recently (...and of COURSE seen the cover in stores....) and most seem to agree this is definitely a must read from a tested author. I especially like the way the characters seem to be depicted....seems to fit the title. Adding to my TBR list (**jots it down**) and future reads! Thanks for sharing....and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete